Excellent Medium article on some behind the scenes data science, and how Cambridge Anylitica (now renamed as Emerdata Ltd.) used behavioral profiling, ad micro-targeting via Facebook, and AI to win elections and influence opinions and politics worldwide.
The best way to thwart these kind of systems is to use an open source browser like Firefox, and use addons such as:
- Facebook Container – Expanded : Isolates Facebook’s elements from the rest of your browsing
- Google , Amazon, etc. Containers: Isolates behavior and tracking to site-specific containers
- Privacy Possum: Learns how sites track you, and drops these connections
- Disconnect : Similar to privacy possum
- (Search) DuckDuckGo the search engine that doesn’t track you
- Ublock Origin : Blocks most ads
- Facebook adblock: blocks Facebook ads
- (Bonus) VimVixen : Speedy web browsing with vim shortcuts
Also, it’s worth going into your settings on your Google account and turning off personalized ads and location data collection, especially if you have an Android phone.
84 total views, 2 views today